Affiliate marketing is usually the first choice at the start of an Internet marketing career. It's an easy way to get a taste of online marketing without having to create your own product or deal with supply and support issues. Technically, you don't even need your own website and you can start right away. You can choose to work part time to build a generous residual income; work hard and you too could the ranks of affiliates who have become extremely rich.
Affiliate marketing is basically where the affiliate gets paid for bringing buyers to the merchants. When the customer makes his purchase, you get a percentage of the sale as a 'commission'. The percentage you get varies from vendor to vendor but, as an affiliate, you get to choose the best option for you. Therefore, if a prospect buys a $100 product and it pays 25% commission, you will receive $25 as a reward for your work. Quite simply, you find online methods to introduce your chosen product to interested people and leave it up to the vendor to do the rest.
How do you choose a good affiliate program to promote? Here are some tips you may want to follow before choosing:
1. It can be more difficult to sell something that you have no interest in so pick a product or program that you would be interested in purchasing yourself. The chances are there that many others are also interested in the same program and products.
2. Look for a product or service that is of high quality. For instance, look for one that is associated with many experts in your chosen niche. This way you will know that the standard is likely to be good.
3. Pick a product that caters to a growing target market. This will make it much easier for you to make sales. There are plenty of ways to find out what products are popular, including looking at the best sellers on Amazon and EBay, but if you are selling something related to a niche that you are interested in, you will know what a popular item is.
4. Do not waste your time with programs that do not reward substantially for your efforts. A program with a compensation plan that pays out a residual income and a payout of 30% or more would be a great choice. Look closely, there are plenty about.
5. Selecting a vendor who provides you with lots of tools and resources will help you grow the business in the shortest possible time. Not all affiliate programs have these capacities.
6. Have a thorough and intensive knowledge about the affiliate program that you intend to promote. Knowing the kind of program you are getting yourself into will help you anticipate and prevent any problems you may encounter.
Once you have got a good hold of the ropes of Internet affiliate marketing and your commissions are rolling in, you may consider giving up the day job and joining the many thousands of affiliate marketers making a substantial income online.
Karen Thomson is a successful Internet Marketing Consultant. If you found this article useful, claim your free social media for business e-book and more goodies, available at =>